Wednesday, April 18, 2012

exclusive interview con monica castro y los boyz, 20112



Exclusive interview con Monica Castro y los Boyz, 2012.
Cchwnn.
Phoenix, Arizona. Hello again raza, it’s me, Santa Cecilia con on the road again interviews. As I sit here looking at one of the most beautiful sunset ever since, we are preparing to meet up con Monica del grupo Monica Castro y los Boyz, so let us go to that interview.
Sc: hello Monica como esta? Can you give me a hand off this bicycle, my god how many hills are there here?
Mc: Hi doing well thanks, Did you get tired riding all the way from Texas. You look the shape of the bike with lots of bugs on your sun glass. Hey Santa Cecilira nice tan lines girl.

SC: let us start with how did you get into la onda tejana?
MC: I grew up listening to all kinds of music including Tejano through Mom, Dad and tios and tias but you know as a kid I didn't pay much attention to it. Tejano music caught my attention the very first time I heard Selena. One day I walked into my Mom's house and I heard someone singing on a novela and immediately ran to the tv and asked my Mom "who's singing that song?". A few years later I learned more about the artist and their music through Rafael. Rafael lived in Fort Worth, Texas for 12 years where he followed Tejano music religiously and when he moved to Arizona he shared the music with me, taught me how to dance Tejano style and took me to Tejano events. I started listening to the music more and more then singing it more and more and now here I am on my third album.

SC: during you young musical career how many groups or bands have you belonged to?
MC: In my younger musical career I belong to 3 or 4 groups and did a variety of shows all in Northern California. My focus then was more mainstream top 40 and R&B. In my Tejano music journey I have only belonged to 1 band with 3 of the Original band members still with me today Rafael , Robert , and Jonathan.

SC: what is the differences with Los Boyz compared to the other bands you belonged to?
MC: Well there is really 1 difference because I have had Tio Robert on Bass guitar , Jonathan Molina on the Accordion, and Rafael who is just all over helping us move forward for 6 years now, as a team ,they all help the new band members come up to speed. The only main difference is I went from ConjunTo to Tejano this year 2012.
SC: how difficult is it in putting a band together?
In the beginning it was hard, because here in Az, it isn't main stream so to get musician here to learn new music was hard and the mentality is different. So We went outside the circle as they say here and sought after young talented guys that wanted to jam but no one would give them a chance because of their ages. So we gave them that chance and Jon still plays with me today. It can still be a challenging because lets face it not alot of Female Singers are taken very seriously so we miss out on lots great opportunities and descent gigs that kinda lets us exhale alittle bit from all the hard work.
SC: how much traveling will you be doing in 2012?
MC: I am hoping to do a lot more traveling then I have in past. I would love to get out to cities (big or small) through out the U.S especially Texas , Chicago, Florida, Washington, etc..to perform my music and meet the wonderful Tejanos and Tejanitas who have supported me these 6 years. So we're working on it. Got any gigs??? :)

SC: when you go to a studio how do you select the music you are going to record and release?
MC: I go into a project already knowing what I am looking for in a song to help discribe my producer the direction I want to go with it. Then time and patience to be able to match the story melody and the tempo. Then I listen to songs sent by song writers from Texas, Idaho, California and Mexico. I simply take the time to listen to it all with a very very open mind. My primary focus when I hear a song is the story that it's telling ,then the melody. I listen and think about someone going through exactly what the lyrics are saying. I like to touch people's thoughts and emotions with the songs that I sing. On the other hand I also look for songs that will simply make you want to get up off that seat and BOOGIE!!

SC: in your opinion is la onda tejana dying?
MC: NO!!! It's not dying. Is me winning a TMA from 1000 miles away sound like its dying? I think la onda struggles for different reasons theough. The main one is if we can get promoters to just take that chance on new female groups like me or any of us that would be a major break through for the industry If we can get promoters to understand that there are Tejano Recording Artist literally outside of Texas now. That's would big...Some bands are ready and some aren't. Me and da boyz diffinately ready for our break.

SC; what do you think it take to be successful in la onda tejana?
MC: Ok now that's a tougher question......let's see. To be successful I believe it takes just a few very key points, being persistant and keeping all the negativity behind you, then I would say 1.Continuing to release new material to establish who you are in the industry 2) a stong support system 3) original music professionally produced and arranged, One main important key 4)Event promoters.
SC: how hard is it on your family and your personal life, when you are gone most of the time?
MC: It hasn't been very hard thus far only because I don't travel much unfortunately. But when we do come out to San Antonio for the Fan Fair and Tejano Music Awards, our family is always there to help. They are there for airport rides, house sitting, pet sitting, and whatever we need while we are gone.

SC: what do you see in the future for Monica Castro?
MC: Getting my Masters Degree I see more travel, I see music videos, I see a 4th album,

SC: have you ever recorded with other known tejano artist?
MC:Yes, I recorded a duet that was nominated back in 2007 with Eddie Gonzalez called Enamorados. I also had the privilage of having Raulito Navaire sing seguda to a song he wrote and recorded with me call Vete Ya.

SC: off all the gigs you have performed, which one stands out the most up to now?
MC: That would be the Tejano Music Showcase at the AVA Amphitheater in Tucson Arizona in 2010 it was me and Miguel Salgado, Jesse Serrata, TexManiacs, Monica Castro and yes I still have the poster.

SC: there is a rumor that you will be performing at fanfare 2012, si or no?
Mc; Clato que si Santa Cecila, March 16, 2012 Concho stage 8:15pm March 17, 2012 San Saba South stage 8:45pm. So please all of you come out and check out our show. I am calling out all you promoters out to come see me :)

SC: if given the chances to speak with a group of young people interested in getting into la onda tejana, what encouraging words would you use?
MC: Music never stops for anyone. Know that it is a business...Work on your stage presence and build your confidence up as quick as possible. No Chanclas and shorts on stage......Keep all the negative behind you, and take the time to do your project right. Once you put it out there you can't take it back. Expect broken promises, just know that they are coming. Demand your audiences attention.

SC: are you active in any social networks? Do you blog?
Mc; Face book is the only real ss I have time for because I work during the day.
SC: what motivates you to stay en la onda tejana?
Mc; People really wanting to hear me sing. I had a gentlemen send me a post the other day and said. He looks forward in seeing me come out to Texas twice a year. It's the only time he gets to see me is during the fan fair and TMA show. Another wrote about him and his daughters making the trip to see me. So I feel very blessed to be able to have people escape through my music.
SC and finally Monica is there anything you would like to share with your fan base from around the world?
MC: Yes , I hope this interview finds all of you happy and healthy. Keep your kids in school, listening to me on your cd player, thank you for all your support.. I love you all.

SC: well Monica thanks for giving us your time for this interview and dearly can give me a hand and point to me which way is it back to texas?
MC: No problem I just glad your making the trip back not me. I learned a long time ago it's easier to fly from Az to San Antonio. Yes go east and when you get to El Paso keep going east. Call me let me know you made it ok. If you get into any trouble call me i'll come get you..As I ride into the sunset, leaving the Arizona , I can’t stop thinking on how powerful la onda tejana is and grown. I am santa Cecilia la que te canta, good day

No comments:

Post a Comment