Wednesday, December 10, 2014

exclusive interview con fruty villareal y los mavericks 2014


Exclusive interview con Fruty Villarreal y Los Mavericks, 2014.

Cchwnn.

Kingsville, Texas. Hello again I am Blanca Blanch Blanco con on the road again interview. This week I ride into the sunset south to La Feria, Texas to meet with Furty Villarreal accordion musician del valley. Now for that interview:

BBB: hello Sir can you give me a hand off this bicycle?

Fv: Sure! Let me help you get off! Watch out!

 

BBB: tell a little bit about yourself sir and your musical back ground and how long have you been con los Mavericks?

Fv: Ok! I started playing at the age of twelve! Playing with my padrino Ruben Vela! In 1986 I formed my own conjunto Fruty Villarreal y Los Mavericks! I recorded my first album in 1986. It was pure instrumental!

 

BBB: was the accordion the first instrument you leader how to play?

Fv: My first instrument was the bajo sexto. I dud play accordion but not as good. I just got tired of all the tuning and broken strings and went full force on the accordion after that.

 

 

BBB: is there still one performance that still stands out in your memories of all the time you performed?

Fv: I have alot of great memories! But the one that stands out the most is when I performed st the Smithsonian Institute in Washington DC! It was nice to explain our music and roots! To this date So Homenaje a Las Leyendas is played as a tribute to everyone that visits

 

BBB: wow sir that must have been an honor, do you thing the younger generation of today is really appreciating all the work you and many more have done to restore la onda  tejana throughout its history?

Fv: In my opinion I think that Tejano and Conjunto Music are like cousins! They both have evolved into a much more progressive era without losing its flavor! The songs still talk about a love gone wrong, our poor upbringing and hardworking people with a danceable beat. The only thing I see that we are losing is the traditional vals, redovas and shotizes.

 

BBB:  very good point, do you find the different places you perform are the same or are there differences ?

Fv: I think that the venues are different in that our conjunto music is not played in many radio stations. The Mexican Banda and hard core corridos have filtered so much audiences and territories! I am very fond of California, Washington and of course Texas for still promoting and keeping conjunto alive.

 

 

BBB: how difficult has it been for you and your family with your long career as a musician traveling all the time?

Fv: I think just being in the music industry is hard for everyone. The fact that modernization and technology has taken a big role in our business, Back then it was 8 tracks and cassettes. It was harder back then to go tour and not knowing if you were going to make money to send back home. It's never been good turnouts at our functions. The good thing about us in the conjunto genre is that we get the traditional quinceneras, anniversaries and private parties which helps us provide food on our tables.

BBB: and the fame behind all this sir?

Fv: well, it’s because I didn't get into music for the fame or accolades. Music was and is in our blood. There wasn't too many tv shows or award functions. We shared the road and stages with other conjuntos and bands that our only goal was to survive.

 

BBB: what is on the back burner for Fruty Villarreal  in 2015?

Fv: We are working on a tribute to conjunto legend Gilberto Perez who is one of a few still alive and performing. I consider him the George Jones of conjunto music due to his voz triste and tearjerkers! And of course another one featuring the old school conjunto.

 

 

BBB: sir if you were given an opportunity to speak to a group of young people wanting to get into the music business what encouraging words would you tell them about it?

Fv:

I've been invited to talk to kids and youth about our music and experiences. I always tell them to be proud of our culture and music roots. But then again it also comes with a heavy luggage. There is a lot of drinking and desveladas. I've seen very good friends with awsome talent that have gotten the worst part of this trade. All I can tell them is to learn it and enjoy our conjunto music and if they want to consider taking it as a career to just respect yourself and play from the heart.

 

BBB: that is sad in many cases,  what do you want for Christmas?

Fv: Lol. Honestly, I just want to make it through the remaining of 2014!

 

 

BBB: and finally sir is there anything you would want to share with your fan base?

Fv: Ok. Well I just want to thank everyone that has put up with me and my band. I feel very honored to have played a role in their lives by performing in their events and social gatherings. To you all the DJ’ s who without you we couldn't get inside so many homes and places. In our 31 years of performing we have met very wonderful people and I can honestly say that I didn't make conjunto, conjunto music made me and continues to do so. I am very grateful for the support that you all offered me and The Mavericks! Thanks

BBB: oh yea , well Mr. V. I need to head back home, can you give me a hand an point towards hwy 281?

Fv: Ok. Well, it was pleasure meeting you and having this conversation and now let me give you a hand getting back on bike.! Cuidado! There you go! Bye

 

BBB: throughout the years I have conducted a lot of interviews, speaking and getting to know Mr.V. has been an extreme pleasure and just to let you know he has that feeling that makes you want to stacy-stompi, grito-yellin, and taqucachito-dancing style in his heart, con puro conjunto music, I am triple BBB, good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment