Tuesday, July 17, 2012

exclusive interview con Juan Sifuentes jr. 2012

Exclusive interview con Juan Sifuentes jr., 2012.
Cchwnn.
Alice, Texas. Hello I am Santa Cecilia la que te canta con on the road again interview. This week our bicycle ride doesn’t take us too far, but a few pumps here and there and were are here in Alice, Texas to interview el senor y la voz de Juan Sifuentes jr. now let us get to this historical interview:
Sc: como esta Mr. Juan and can you give us a hand off this bicycle?
Js; Sure, Always glad to help a lady.

SC: first of all I surely want to share our sympathy about your son and we all feel your pain and we want to let you know we are here for you if you ever need to talk?
Js: Thank You so much. My wife and I appreciate that so much. It’s hard really hard.

Sc: let us discuss a major decision you made this weekend but let say “ accepting ” a new challenge by joining a new band, can you tell us the name of that conjunto and where they are from?
Js: Sure. The conjunto belongs to my cousin Arnold Jimenez. The name is still being discussed. Arnold is Cha Cha Jimenez,may he rest in peace, brother. Arnold (guitar,1st voice) is from the valley. The other members are Arnold’s son…Arnold Jr. (bass),Ernest Ruiz (drums) from Corpus Christi, Alfred Garcia (accordion) San Antonio, and Juan sifuentes Jr. (2nd voice) from Alice,Texas.

Sc: having not performed in awhile how did it feel to stand in front with your primo Arnold Jimenez?
Js: Well I had done a song or two on several occasions with me doing the lead vocals but it was an honor doing a whole gig with him. Arnold has had an extensive musical career himself. It may sound a little weird but I actually felt like I had been singing with him for a long time. The style of music, progressive conjunto, is something that I love and grew up with.

Sc: having Dios te ayude in learning the songs, how hard was it for you to get back into the swing of learning and timing?
Js: Well it was work being that the only practice I had was on the stage that night. I really thought I wasn’t going to make it but I was willing to give it my best. I didn’t want the owners of the venue to say that they didn’t want my cousin back…because of me. I do have musical training. I was with the prestigious Alice High School Chorale where I learned as much as I could about the fundamentals of music. I, along with 3 other people, was recruited in the 9th grade. Something that had never been done before.

Sc: we read que you did several interview while in the Dallas area, can you share some of highlights during those interviews?
Js; Well during most of the interviews the subject of my Father, The Late Juan Sifuentes
Sr., comes up. I love talking about my father and I am honored and happy that the people, and the Business, still remember him. I traveled with my father and I get asked question like what it was like for a kid to travel with El Conjunto Bernal. I will be the first to say that it was an honor. I have a sister and my sister and I see my father in a different light. To the world my father was a Tejano Artist. Probably one of the most influential artist to come out of the state of Texas. To my sister and I……He was Daddy and we miss him a lot…..Sorry didn’t mean to get carried away.

Sc; how think you were the rookie on this new band?
Js: Well I actually didn’t get into the business until 1997. I was 39 yrs. Old….That makes me pretty much a rookie. I will always be the student in this business we call TEJANO.

Sc; I notice que you mention some seasoned veterans en la onda, how much work did it take to be on your toes during the performance?
Js: It was a job I had to do. I had to glance at Arnold and watch the movement of his lips so that my lips would pronounce the words at the same time as his. It was also hard because the stage lights were behind him facing my way. At the same time you have to have a “ Good stage Presence”. You can’t appear obvious, to the people, that you haven’t practiced. But it turned out great and I had lots of fun. Some of the women dancing with their man would give me a thumbs up…meaning they were enjoying the music…I like that.

Sc: now that you have committed yourself to this new band, how hard is it going to be on you?
Js; It’s not going to be hard as far as performing. Practice makes perfect. But the death of My Son still lingers in my mind. I understand that my son loved music and this is what he would want me to keep on doing.


sc: Juan in the past you have stood up for us when some many might not agree with our view, especailly when it come to the developement of la onda, do you think too many tejanos just talk about the la onda and its future but fail to implement any of the ideas they recommend, what have you noticein the last eight years on how so many want this for la onda and that for la onda ,pero puro talk?


Jc; The lack of a leader and /or organization willing to help . It has become a " to each his own " situation .....the time for talk has expired . The lack of money is a big factor ...there are so many successful businesses owned by tejanos but they are unwilling ,or afraid to help financially. With all the bickering and chaos going on ...I don't blame them



Sc; you mention earlier que this was the first time you were second voice, compared to the past, how difficult is it to learn this role?
Js: Well Ma’am. As a young boy I used to go to my room. Pull out my record player and put some Bernal Albums. I would stand in front of a mirror, get a hairbrush for a microphone, and try to do all three voices of Bernal. Not at the same time….LOL…My choir training had a lot to do with it. Some of the songs we sang that night were from the days of Los Chachos and Conjunto Bernal. To this day I still try to do multiple voices that I hear on the radio or a CD. After we did the first song I was pretty much at ease.

Sc; you did mention que one of the highlights of this trip was teaming up con the one and only Crazy chuy, how did that go?
Js: I met crazy chuy when he was inducted into the Hall Of Fame in 2003. When I shook his hand I felt like I had known him all my life. We have been like brothers ever since that day. Crazy Chuy is an excellent radio personality. He is definitely in his element. He is also a walking dictionary for Tejano Music History.

Sc; when you were in the Dallas area, you mention you had not been there in awhile, have things changed at all, con la onda?
Js: The last time I was there was when they held the Tejano Music Convention the first time in Dallas. Too many People and it was sort of an unpleasant experience. It only takes a couple of people to ruin a whole night. It was a whole different scenario this time. I was among a smaller group of Mi Gente and it was awesome. I like to get one on one with people and talk about music and I love to hear the memories that the people have of my father. These people were very humble people and THEY LOVED TO DANCE. It reminded me of the days of the Joe Lozano dances.

Sc: what is in the future for Juan Sifuentes Jr en la onda ?
Js: To Live Life to the fullest and continue with the music as long as I can. I am not my father, and I understand that, but I am my father’s son. I am definitely not on top of the totem pole….but I am not on the bottom either. I have never asked how much I am going to get paid….NEVER. And it works out perfect for me. I have witnessed Tejano Music History Being Made, from a FRONT ROW SEAT and will continue to do so as long as GOD allows me to.

Sc: coming from a family de musicos, what memories do you have of your famour father Juan Sifuentes?
Js; I have a Treasure of Memories of my father. The main thing that he tried to teach me was to stay humble. To never forget where I came from. We were never rich. We lived in a one bedroom shack the first 6 years of my life. We had an outhouse and we had to take a bath in a cuartito made of tin. My father would talk music to me but at that time it was all Chinese to me. My father never sat down with me to teach me music. HE TAUGHT ME NOTHING DIRECTLY. He never wanted me to sing. My first teacher was the Bernal Albums…Then the choir. The traveling with Bernal and my Dad was the best part of growing up. There was times when I felt that he didn’t love me. I remember him telling me that he could say “ I love you “ to me till he was blue in the face but I would never really understand how much until I would have my first born…..Then I would understand just how much he loved me…..What he told me was true. My Father was my Teacher of LIFE….and he was the best….

SC: Juan has la onda Tejana really changed that much from back then?
Js: It has changed quit a bit. Even the music. Some of it has evolved to something else and some has “mutated “ so to speak. There are still a few who remain true to the sound of yesteryear. Especially the young conjunto groups. I believe that most of them make our people and culture proud. Back in the days the groups had there own distinct sound. The accordion players would give their instrument it’s own personality (can you believe that ). Today we have a lot of “Clone” groups that sound too much like each other. But I see a light at the end of the tunnel. The younger groups are coming up with their own style and sound. I see the people responding more positive towards the music.

Sc; I am sure there are so many thing you would like to tell us about your musical career, how does one get started?
Js: You have to love it first and foremost. Then you have to make a commitment to it. It usually better to start at a young age. I personally got hooked at a very young age when I saw Ray Charles on TV…I was about 5 yrs. Old. I said to myself, “ I want to do that.”

Sc: again Juan thank you for your time in doing this interview?
Js: It was my honor and pleasure Ma’am…..You might want to check the air on your tires….Take Care.
Sc; true legends never died, they continue in our heart and minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment