Monday, February 28, 2011

interview con Mary Margaret Park 2011

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW ‘con’ [Mary Margaret Park]:
Saint Charles, MO (CCHWNN) February 28th, 2011 -- My name is Santa Cecilia
con on the road again interviews. This week, my creator has sent me on a very
interesting task of interview, a young lady that just released a sing cd, “Donde
Voy Estar”, that should on the airwaves real soon, but enough of that, let’s get to
that interview…

SC: Hello dear, how are we doing? My god, it was a long bicycle ride here, can
you give me a hand off this bicycle, Mary?
Mary: I’m doing fine, but you look a little winded, here you go chica, y sabes
que? It looks like you have a flat tire.

SC: Let us start, how in the world does a creative person with some much skills
get involved in endeavor as release a Tejano song named “Donde Voy Estar”?
Mary: Well, it was a culmination of things. I had completed backing vocals for a
German styled Cumbia version of [Palomita Blanca], and was then scheduled to
work on some Electronic songs the week after. During this time, I had been
listening to the [Wild Orchid] original soundtrack, and it put me in the mood to do
something worldly and expressive. I had just finished recording a separate
Tejano Two-Step song with Sekrett Scilensce, and had mentioned that it would
be great for me to record a song similar to that, because the music is so heartfelt
and sexy, or maybe something with congas, you know, the whole tropical feel. I
felt that a Cumbia might come across overdone, especially since any rendition I’d
do would have a lot of Electro influence. I went back to listen to some vintage
Tejano recordings and reheard [The Peanuts Polka]. All I can say is, the light
bulb lit.

SC: Can you give us a little bit of information on your musical background?
Mary: Todo mi familia is musical, I started singing and playing the piano when I
was little. My Sister was a Classical Pianist also, so I was influenced heavily by
[Bach], [Beethoven], [Mozart], and [Chopin]. I sang in various choirs and have
always loved songs with rich harmonies. Our family often gathered around the
piano and we’d sing in three and four part harmony. I learned to play the flute in
elementary school. By the time I was in high school, I was playing the piccolo
and saxophone also. It is basically an addiction I refuse to be treated for.

SC: Who is Kuneo Koei and what does it represent?
Mary: [Kuneo Koei] is the collaborative catalogue management company of the
[MMP Publishing] and [Sekrett Scilensce Associates] registered titles database.
The company handles our rights and distribution, while serving as a safe haven
for artistic endeavors that are uninhibited and anti mainstream, give or take a
request by fans to do something fun or fluffy. Our videogame music selections
are probably the extent of any such request.

SC; As you mention before, that you have worked very close con music
composer and producer Sekret Scilensce, how did that come about?
Mary: Ss (Sekrett Scilensce) and I met several years ago, and have become
best friends since. We often consult one another on our creative endeavors, both
musical and written. In the beginning, I was a fan in love with his work. He had
been busy traveling in Upstate New York, so there was a small gap in
communication. I had sent him many writings while waiting to hear back from
him. He returned and said to me, “Okay, I read them, now let’s get beyond
these”. About a week later, he hired me to do some press writing. It became clear
that he was on a mission to have me duke it out with myself, publically.

SC: I see that your major interest is writing. How difficult is it to be a creative
writer and how long have you being doing this?
Mary: I’ve loved reading and writing since I was a kid. After I met Sekh (Ss), and
he’d read some of my poetry, he said, “Schreiben Sie eine verdammt Roman
bereits”, which basically means, “Write a damn novel already”. I’ve been writing
on a regular basis again for the last six years, and am now working on my third
novel. I love writing. Sometimes it comes easily to me, but sometimes, it’s really
difficult. In the end, when the story comes together, it’s totally worth the stress.

SC: Who are some of the major Tejano influences in your life that made you
want to record this new single, “Donde Voy Estar”?
Mary: I really enjoy the music of [Laura Canales], [The Latin Breed], and [Gary
Hobbs]. In my mind, [Donde Voy Estar] ended up harkening to the traditional
ballroom polka sound. I guess because artists like [Jay Perez] are still releasing
music, you could say it isn’t completely stilted, and while I enjoy that sound too, I
just haven’t heard it changed all that much over the years, respectfully. Who
knows what listeners will think though?

SC: As a child, did you ever dream of achieving some much in your life?
Mary: I’ve always gone after the things I really wanted. All it takes is the desire
and a willingness to work hard, and you know, occasionally taking off your
chancla, para tu sabes, pelear.


SC: I read somewhere that you have earned a Bachelor’s of Science in
Pharmacy and a Minor in Chemistry, how did that come about?
Mary: I’ve always been fascinated by the nature of things, how they work, the
intricacies, so going into science was natural for me. I figured I’d be living the
‘starving artist’ lifestyle, no matter what I pursued for a while, so choosing the
medical field to fuel my passions was a perfect match.

SC; Do you think your talent in music will have a big impact in Tejano scene?
Mary: I love making and singing the songs. If people enjoy listening then I’m
fortunate.

SC: If given the chance to speak with a group of young people, what
encouraging words would you say to them?
Mary: Like many have said, follow your dreams, work hard, and don’t ever let
anyone tell you that you can’t achieve them. Nunca te rindas.

SC: Finally Mary, what would like to share with your fan base and the Tejano
world about Mary Margaret Park?
Mary: From all corners of the globe, for la onda Tejana, si viva la frontera.

SC: Thanks again Mary, and girl, can you give me a hand back on this bicycle
and point to me which way is the freeway?
Mary: Okay chica, but the direction depends on where you are going from here.

SC; As l ride my bicycle into the sunset, I ask myself, that la onda Tejana has
influences some many in our world. I am Santa Cecilia la que canta…
http://www.marymargaretpark.com/features/mmp_donde-voy-estar_f1/index.html

1 comment:

  1. These guys are awesome! Are you going to only cover this Spanish music?

    ReplyDelete