Monday, July 27, 2015

Exclusive interview con Sarah Ruiz Chavez, 2015

hello again here is our interview with Exclusive interview with Sarah Chavez Ruiz, a three part session:
Exclusive interview con Sarah Ruiz Chavez, 2015.
Cchwnn.
Olathe, Kansas. Hello raza, I am Blanca Blanch Blanco con on the road again interview. Today my poor little legs pumped my new bicycle all the way to Olathe to meet up with not just a special person, but a cousin and a brilliant person in her own way Sarah Ruiz Chavez and now for that interview.
Bbb: hello Sarah can you give me a hand off this bicycle?
Src: Blanca! You’ve rode such a great distance. Here’s a tall glass of chilled horchata. It ‘s so great to be with you - thank you for this special visit! You must have dodged a couple of tornados along the way - very impressive cuz!
BBB: well, you know Sarah as I rode up here I continued to ask myself how would I start this interview with a woman that has accomplished so much and not just for Tejano , but for all women. So I will start by asking, How are you?
Src: Your words are too kind. I am doing great here in the middle of the map - Kansas. I am working at a fever-pitch pace preparing for Las Vegas next week for the 12th Annual Tejano Music National Convention. It is a passion dedicated to honor my father and yourTio Ricardo Ruiz, born and raised in Kingsville, Tejas. As you know, I grew up surrounded by musical equipment, instruments and musicians practicing 24/7 as the norm en la casa Ruiz. 
 
BBB: I guess we can start from the being, I remember once I visited with you and you were in the early stages of your great career, correct me if my memory doesn’t do me any good, you were dabbling in Tejano, local Tejano groups, can you tells us a bit about that?
Src: Entering into the Tejano industry as a profession was by accident. In the early 90’s I was a stay-at-home mother that homeschooled my children and went to church in Arlington, TX. The Dallas Morning News had a weekly community magazine insert called La Fuente. La Fuente posted a talent contest to take place at the Texas State Fair and the winner would receive and exclusive promotional recording package to produce three songs in a studio and included several hundred CDs.
I can’t sing, I can’t play an instrument and I can’t write music - BUT I KNOW talent when I hear it. My church friend, another stay-at-home mom, would sing gospel songs. She was a natural and very talented. I asked her if she wanted to enter the contest because I believed she could win. After agreeing we bought pistas (background tracks) and she learned Mariachi songs for the competition. To make a long story short - my friend won and we recorded Tejano songs for the CD. This lead to her being in a Tejano band and regular gigs performing and my role was in managing. The entire experience was a crash course in Tejano 101 for us, not a lot of money but it wasn’t about that - it was about the music. Over time I met lots of people which eventually connected me to a legend in the Tejano industry in management. His name was Sonny Flores. He was a phenomenal promoter and road manager to Little Joe y La Familia, La Mafia and La Fiebre back in the heyday of Tejano.
I was fortunate and blessed to have had a VIP seat to watch my dad and learn from him, spending summers in Kingsville listening to my uncles jam, and years later being mentored by Sonny.

No comments:

Post a Comment