Friday, March 30, 2012

exclusive interview con ben ozuna, 2012


Exclusive interview con Ben Ozuna, vocalist, 2012.

Cchwnn.

In front of Woolworths, san anto, texas. Hello raza, I am santa Cecilia la que te canta, con on the road again interview. Raza if you only knew how political it has been the last few days. But for now we are here with a very handsome young man named Ben Ozuna, vocalist, and has allowed us to interview him. So here we go.



Sc: hi, handsome can you give me a big Tejano hand off this bicycle?

Bo: 1. Definitely! Give me your hand and I’ll help you off.





Sc; first Ben how did you get into the music business and how long have you been singing Tejano?

BO; 2. I started in the music business when I was 16 years old.  My uncle was in

High School and had a tejano band.  I would go to his house and watch the band

practice every week.  I convinced him to let me sing with them at a cousin’s

quinceaƱera and that is where it all began.  I have sung in mariachi bands and

tejano bands since then, which would make it about 13 years that I have been

singing.





SC: I am sure that when you were younger, did you ever see yourself singing for David Lee Garza band and how in the world did you manage to get hired?

Bo: 3. It’s funny that you ask that question. When I was younger, my little brother and I would go to our Uncle Ben’s house, the same uncle whose band I sang in when I was 16, and pretend to be David Lee Garza y Los Musicales and other bands.  We were about 10 to 12 years old at the time and we would play their music on the stereo and lip sync to it.  Haha, I would pretend to be Emilio. Those were the good ol’ days! I always wanted to be Los Musicales’ front man, but I honestly never thought it would become a reality. I didn’t have plans on

moving from my hometown, Midland, and Icertainly didn’t think I would be considered if I had tried out. It turned out that one day I decided to move to San Antonio to pursue a singing career in July of 2010. It also so happened to

be that David was looking for a new front man. So, I sent him a demo and he

called me back. 





Sc; what difficulties did you encounter when you recorded the latest cd con David Lee “ y ahora aqui”,compared to other recording you might have done in your career?

BO; 4. I have to say that recording “Y ahora aquĆ­” wasn’t as difficult as I thought

it was going to be.  I had a few weeks to learn the songs and David and Gilbert Velasquez were there to help guide me throughout the process as well.  If anything, I had a hard time with phrasing on one of the songs.  To me it felt

like a tongue twister.  I made sure that we recorded that one last lol. Other than that, I was very comfortable in the studio.  Gilbert is very professional. I learned that if you follow his lead and do what he asks, all will be ok.





SC : I don’t you know if you realize that when you posted some comments on Tejano journal about your performance, lots of tjers were very impress with you coming on board and posting comments. It seems that you are a very humble person, Do you plan to continue sharing your views on la onda and your personal career?



BO; 5. Thank you!  I didn’t know about the Tejano Journal until a friend of mine

told me about it a year ago.  Since then, I periodically check in to see what is

going on en la onda tejana. I see lots of great discussion on the state of our

genre and its future. I also see lots of great ideas as far as how we can build

on the genre and make it better.  I didn’t post before because it was nice to

just sit back and read people’s opinions on different subjects.  I felt it was

necessary to post this time, to let everyone know that I appreciate them as fans

and I respect their opinions. I’m glad that the Tejano Journalers, if that is a

word lol, appreciated my post. Now that I have a handle, or username, I think I

will pop in more often and post.





Sc; I am sure that you do realize that David lee has introduced some top notch Tejano singer, do you think one day you will also be consider a top Tejano singer, if you are not already and how hard is it to fill those shoes?

Bo: 6. Yes, David Lee y Los Musicales are definitely known for their singers.  Growing up, and still to this day, I listen to Emilio, Ram, Jay, Oscar G., Marcos, Mark, and Joey.  David Lee has most certainly given us Tejanos talented vocalists who are still coming out with great hits today on their own. I think the mere fact that I am actually singing with Los Musicales is an honor. To be able to share a stage with David Lee y los Musicales is a fantastic feeling.  I know I have big shoes to fill, and I don’t let that pressure me.  Each person leaves behind their own legacy and I don’t want to build on anyone else’s.  I believe that as long as I give my absolute best and stay true to myself, the rest will follow. 





Sc; if given a chance to speak with a group of young people what encouraging words would you shares them?

Bo: 7. That’s a good question. I am lucky enough to speak to young people every day. 

I am a 3rd grade teacher and I make sure to let my students know that education is a must! I try to instill in them the desire to set a goal and to reach it. I make sure that they know they can do anything they set their mind to, but I stress the importance of getting an education first. I want all of my students and all young people to get a college education. I tell them that it will be the best time of their lives. 





SC: and finally Mister, what would like to share with the world on la onda Tejana matter?

Bo: 8. I would like the world to know that Tejano is a force to be reckoned with.  I see more and more young people enjoying our music and especially playing it. This year at fan fair, there were so many fresh faces and new bands. I think Tejano is a very flexible genre.  We Tejanos are pretty open minded to things, and that is what makes our music so great.  I have a feeling that our future is going to be phenomenal and I can’t wait to be a part of that. 





SC: gee big guy it’s been pleasure to have met you and handsome can you give me a big Tejano hand on this bicycle and point south hwy, 281 for me?



BO: 9. Thank you Santa Cecilia! By the way, did you know that you are the Patron saint of Music? You probably did huh? Lol .  Thank you for the interview.  It was nice to meet you.  Yes, 281 is that way. If you see the airport, you are close. Lol.  Safe travels.



Sc: yes dear thanks to my agent Melissa.

SC: gee its nice to see a real humble person that might just be the next super Tejano star, orally, I am santa Cecilia. Good day.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment