Thursday, March 29, 2012

exclusive interview con dave biondi bnetradio 2012


Exclusive interview with Dave Biondi, BNetRadio, 2012.



Cchwnn.

Houston, texas. Hello raza I am santa Cecilia la que te canta con on the road again interview. This afternoon I was able to upgrade our bicycle by adding a couple of balloons to the rear bicycle tire, which made our trip to Houston much faster. We are here this afternoon sitting next to a Roach Coach enjoying lunch con Dave Biondi, BNetRadio. So let us get to that interview.



Sc; hello Dave, say big boy can you give us a hand off this hot bicycle, so what do you think about our new addition to the bike?



DB: The Duct Tape adds a bit of flair to the contraption. Glad you made it OK. Why is the back wheel smoking?



SC: first tell a little bit on how BNetRadio came about and how difficult has it been keeping on line?



DB; It evolved from Bandido Radio, started by Gordy “Boogieman” Rodriguez and “Jumpin’“ Jess Rodriguez. I helped them put their dreams into the programming, hardware and software that made it happen. Due to legal issues and financial problems, I ‘inherited’ the station. The road to today has had its bumps and funding in the past few years was difficult. I re-mortgaged my home to keep it on and would up losing the home of 28 years when I had to use income from my broadcast engineering business to keep the station on.



SC: I noticed that BNet has array of different programming, in doing this sir does it help in attracting different type of radio sponsor and help the cost of running such a company?



DB: Only in the past few months, has the advertising begun to pay the overhead. Advertisers are just beginning to accept internet radio as a viable promotional tool.



Our programming is based on the Top 40 format of the 60s and 70s adapted to the genres within the Tejano music spectrum. It appeals to a much broader base of listeners than most stations using the definition of Tejano.. I believe that most Tejanos like a broad base of music and it seems to be working. We have a defined music rotation and all the DJs must adhere to it. It has created an overall ‘image’ for the station. Our staff is not there to play what they want, they play what the audience craves.



SC: in keep with the la onda tejana, I am sure you are aware that there are a numerous of organization throughout the united states now working and trying to keep la onda alive,. In your opinion, are these groups really concern con the future of Tejano music or are some just in it for the money to be made from the Tejano industry?



 DB; While the concept of most of these organizations is in the best interest of Tejano music, some of the folks involved are there for the wrong reasons. Sincere hard working folks are hard to find and some are just there to see what the organization can do for them, not the genre. There has been much good done by some of them, but there is always politics and power plays that eventually run many of the good folks off leaving a wounded organization. Some ‘Do Gooders’ feel that they will be known as ‘The Hero” that ‘fixed’ Tejano music. Tejano music is not broken. Selfishness, greed and ego keep pulling it down. NO ONE PERSON is gonna make it flourish.



It will take a great amount of teamwork from a lot of great people that accept the challenge and do it humbly.



SC: this year’s fanfare held in San Antonio, and like usually, a panel session was held to discuss Tejano matters. Have you ever been invited to be on a panel and if you have, what expectations did you expect from such a group to address and accomplish?



DB: I was proud to serve on several panels over the years and attended several others. While, in most, the problems were well defined, but there wasn’t much ‘meat’ offered to address improving the problems.



SC: a few days ago we were able to interview a gentlemen by the name of Roy Ramos, aka el viejito, whom I think you know him personally. Now the issue that came up doing this interview and believe I really feel que we need to address this issue, he told us  that your BNET RADIO owes him money from  some years ago that he lend you. Would you be willing to address this matter?



DB; Once when we were in desperate financial times, I was speaking with Roy on the phone, as we often did, about the need to pay a vital bill to keep on the air. He graciously volunteered to loan me the money ($600 as I recall). I told him that it would take a while to pay him back and he was ok with that. When repayment went longer than I had promised, I called him and said it would be a bit longer. He said “consider it a donation”.



The next year at one of the forums, I was not asked to participate and when a list of internet stations was passed out to the crowd, BNetRadio was not included. I still had no idea there was a problem.



Before the forum was held at the Tejano Music Awards/Tejano Music Convention in SA I received a copy of an email that had been sent by him to the panel members stating that there would be NO MENTION in the discussion of BNetRadio.



I called him to see why and he said, to my surprise, that it was because of the money. I said that I would put the money together and repay him ASAP. He said “ I don’t think I even want to accept it now”. I told him that I didn’t think that because he had an issue with me, personally, that I didn’t think it was ethical and in the best interest of the industry to use his ‘position’ to BLACKBALL BNetRadio.



I hate ‘he said then he said’ things like this, but that’s the way I heard it.



SC: in trying to keep it a simple as possible why would you think Mr. Ramos would bring this up on to the us when he knew this was going to be posted on different public forums?



DB; Not sure, but again, the money issue is between him and me. I have the money now to send him and if he will let me know the full amount that he feels is due and where to send it and that he will accept it and move on, I will be happy to get past this impasse.



SC: do you have any bad feels about Mr. Ramos?



DB: Life is too short to retain bad will towards anyone.



SC : in the past I have listen to your programming and your listening  audience is really worldwide, I know as a fact that our troops that are station overseas that listen to Tejano for sure tune in to your program BNet. Do think issue and matter like what we just talked about discredit your organization?



DB: We are fortunate to have a large US audience and the support of the military and many soldiers stationed around the World are regular listeners.



I have no Idea what motivation he had, but can se no positive value in exposing a personal matter to the masses.



SC: what changes have you had to deal with since you became President and CEO BnetRadio 2000,  from your original internet radio programming, if any?



DB: BNetRadio is actually 2 radio stations. While the Tejano station has a massive audience (approaching 200,00 daily), we had the Top 40 station on since 1999. I never promoted it as much as the Tejano and it still has an daily audience of around 20,000.



The name change of the Tejano station came around 2002 and my corporations total ownership was a few months later. There were some DJs that left when I took the reins, but several stayed. And have been loyal since. As we have all volunteer DJs, anytime someone new comes on it requires a lot of training on formatics, technical issues and controlling ego.



Sc; sir if you were asked to talk to a group of young people interested in seeking a career in radio, what encourage words would you use?



DB; Careers in radio are tough to be successful and require a drive, passion and sacrifice that most would think are irrational and insane in today’s society. If you can’t deal with that, you shouldn’t even try.



SC: I have been told that I am too easy on people that are in charge of certain program and organization deal with la onda tejana when we conduct our interviews,  in some cases we have been called an idiot when conducting interview (lol) do you feel that there isn’t enough honesty within the so call  Tejano leaders and their real intentions?



DB: While many leaders in Onda Tejana are the real thing, many are misunderstood and some are just not what they appear or profess to be.



SC; any finally do you have anything to share with your world wide fans?



DB: We are grateful to the Fans, artists and advertisers for getting us this far. The best is yet to come.



Tejano Music Lives….On BNetRadio!



SC: Dave let me thank you for buying this (taco) and I think 10 of then is  more than enough, and give me a hand back on this bicycle and point to sugarland, please?



DB: Thank you for the opportunity. Here’s a couple Zantac to settle your stomach. Put the bike on GPS autopilot and be safe on the road. I know a good bail bondsman if you need it.



SC: as I leave this place I am feeling better than ever, I am santa Cecilia, good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment