Wednesday, March 21, 2012

exclusive interview con ro'records , julian johnson. 2012

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW CON Ro’Records, Julian Johnson, 2012
Cchwnn.
In front of the Alamo: hello again, mi raza I am Santa Cecilia la que te canta con on the road again interview. Well our creator decided to add an additional interview since I was already here in san anto. This afternoon I am in front of the Alamo to meet up con Julian Johnson, from RoRecords Reel Tracks. Now let’s us get to that exciting interview.
Sc; hello sir excuse me, are you Julian Johnson, and if you are can you help off my tricycle sir?
JJ: Sure

SC: first of all thanks for showing up here in front of el Alamo?
JJ: No problem glad to be here I was just walking my 2 Boxer dogs.

SC: let start on with the record label Ro Records and how it came about?
JJ: My business partner Ernest Gonzalez and I started the record label back in 2000. We saw the industry needed a change and felt we could help be a part of that change. And now we are building our dynasty.

SC; who are some of the folks that you have recorded and have on your company logo?
JJ: Grupo Alamo, Percy Cardona, Miguel Hernandez, Henry Rivas, Los Paisanos, Grupo Oro. And we just recently had the honor of adding Los Hermanos Farias to our family.

SC; are you making money during this hard times?
JJ: Wow that’s a question that I never get asked but I will say this me and my business partners are very happy with ALL we have. Let’s just put it that way. Lol.

SC: how does your company determined who will be recording with you guys?
JJ: Good question. We go thru a very fine process we don’t just sign anybody. Lots of people can sing and play instruments but very few have actual talent. Luckily both me and my business partner are not just owners but producers and musicians ourselves and we can easily spot talent when it crosses our paths.

SC: I am sure there have been some good investment and so not so good, would you like to talk about the chances record companies take in such endeavors?
JJ: Every project is a risk especially in today’s economy and like anything lessons are learned along the way. It just makes us more cautious with what projects we invest in.


SC: Have there been many major changes in recording since you got into the business and if there are what some of them are?
JJ: Number 1 is radio, so many tejano stations have disappeared from the radar. Major retailer outlet stores have cut back on buying tejano music. Big budget concerts are hard to come by.

.
SC: many on line believe que the record companies are no longer needed since many can record their own at home made studios and so on. What is your opinion concerning this statement?

JJ: lol,.I have said this in front of panels before anybody can buy software that can record music but, that goes back to my earlier answer when I said not everyone has talent or skills to produce hits. It use to cost $20,000 to produce, promote, etc an album back in the 90’s today it’s came down to about $10,000. So if you have that type of cash to risk without the skills and talent needed to make a hit album then more power to you.

SC: do you thing that a conjunto or a person needs to have a good promoter for the betterment of their future and easier on you guys dealing with the band?
JJ: Promotion is extremely important and all parties must be able to work together. I have special relationships with my artist’s where they are more like family then just artist’s. That is why I was able to start another company Julian Johnson Management to help with the promotion and booking for the artists. This ensures all areas are covered for my artists and nothing get’s dropped.

SC: I am sure you done chingos de recordings, is there a special trick on doing live recordings of concerts or dances?
JJ: Yeah, never tell the band your recording a live album!

SC; what is the average time it takes to do a 8 song cd?
JJ: 8??? I’ve never done an 8 always 10 or above. Each recording is different it just depends on the how the groove goes.

Sc; is there one group or person that put you guys on the map from the recording they did with you ?
JJ: Everybody on the label has helped us in their own way and as we continue to grow we add more artists that bring more to the mix.

SC: what is your beef on music awards, do you think they are needed and why?

JJ: Certain awards are needed that’s all I will say.


SC: in the past have you started recording a certain group and finally they themselves just can cut it and just quit in the middle of this process?
JJ: Never

SC; what are some of the major draw backs in having a recording company ?
JJ; I found a new word that I’ve been saying a lot and it’s called haters. You have a lot of haters when you have a successful recording company like ours.


SC: if given a chances to speak with a group of young folks interested in getting into the recording business, what cautious words would you tell them?

JJ; Stay in School, Don’t do Drugs. Education, knowledge, and smart clear decisions are key. And ALWAYS follow your dreams don’t listen to all those haters.

SC: does latino comedy have a future in recording?
JJ: yes.

SC and finally is there anything you would like to share with your fans from around the world?
JJ: I would like to say that without our fans we would be nothing. We are just a small part of something trying to get Tejano back to where it should be.

SC; well big boy, JJ thanks a lot and now I must move like wind and do our thing, by the way can you give me a hand a point to me which way is hwy 281 south?
JJ; Go to my city, just follow the signs to Johnson city, lol.

SC : ok raza up and down the hills we roam looking for adventure and I was born to be wild, no que no, I am Santa Cecilia la que te canta, Good Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment